Studying in Germany remains an interest shared by students from all parts of the world considering that German universities are known for offering promising study programs with a great variety of high-quality courses at a very low cost compared to many other countries.
Here is the list of top 43 German universities for year 2015/2016 published by QS World University Rankings.
1. TUM – Technische Universität München
TUM, selected the best university many times now, leads a good example and a high standard for other universities to follow in all study programs – Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD.
With over 209 inventions and winners of many acclaimed prizes – 13 Nobel Laureates, 17 Liebniz prizes and many similar awards, it is a very attractive university to attend for students all over the world.
Founded in 1868, TUM evolved very fast, covering a broad range of courses in as many as 13 faculties as well as its own University Clinic established since 1967.
Read more about Technische Universität München
2. Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
Heidelberg University, also known as Ruperto Carola is the oldest university in Germany, established in 1386 by Ruprecht I.
As one of the strongest research universities in all of Europe, Heidelberg University provides 12 faculties and a total of 30.898 students of whom 17.5% international in Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate and Habilitation programs.
Heidelberg University has played a very important part in the shaping of science and the society of Germany ever since established. Numerous great minds came out of Heidelberg University and have contributed in the developing of sciences for humanity and bringing knowledge a step further.
450 professors out of 5.000 researchers and scientists cover courses in Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Sciences, Liberal Arts, Law, Economics, Social Sciences, Medicine, etc.
3. Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Began with four faculties in 1472 to slowly evolve and become one of the strongest research branches in the country.
6.000 employees work to keep this University in the leading category, of which 746 are professors, 3.074 are other academic staff and the rest is non-academic staff. It includes 18 faculties in total and the number of students attending courses in Ludwig-Maximilians University is 50.327, of which 7.367 are international students.
It offers abundant research and library centers as well as the University Hospital spread throughout Munich.
Online courses from Ludwig-Maximilians University are offered via Coursera while Summer University is a great possibility for students around the world.
Elected ‘University of Excellence’ in year 2012, it continues to support and prepare students towards great success in the future.
4. Kit, Karlsruher Institut Für Technologie
Karlsruher Institut Für Technologie is a university created in 2009 by the merging of two older institutions of great tradition in research and education – Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, 50 years old and Universtät Karlsruhe, 181 year old.
It employs 9.491 staff-members, of which 6.035 are researchers, 355 professors and 1.002 guest scientists. The total number of students in Karlsruher Institut Für Technologie reaches 24.778, many of whom are Nobel Laureates, honorary senators and awarded researchers.
KIT is very supportive of online course programs and start-up company ideas for the benefit of its students.
5. Freie Universität Berlin
When Freie Universtät was being established in 1948, the idea was to create a university similar to Oxford. The idea came by famous Berlin scholars of the time, like Einstein, Lisa Meitner and others, to create a unified progressive environment for younger and eager students to learn and collaborate.
In the beginning not much was offered by Freie Universität because of the hard conditions. By donations from USA to help in the foundation and construction of building complexes, Freie Universtät grew and extended so much as to now offer 15 departments and central institutes including veterinary studies. It also offers the Dahlem Research Campus, a strong international research campus and one of the best botanical gardens in Germany.
Read more about Freie Universität Berlin
6. Humboldt Universität Zu Berlin
Was founded in Berlin in 1810 by the concept of Wilhelm von Humboldt. In the beginning there were only the four well-known classical faculties offered: Law, Medicine, Philosophy and Theology with very few students and academics.Now, as one of Germany’s top 10 universities, all major academic disciplines in the Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Cultural Science, Human Medicine, Agricultural Science, Mathematics and the Natural Sciences are covered in 9 faculties by over 400 professors in research and teaching. The number of students attending these courses is 31.098 excluding the ones in Charité – the collaborative hospital with Freie Universität.
Humboldt Universitat was awarded the ‘University of Excellence’ in 2012, providing 10 collaborative research centers, 13 research training groups, 1.984 academic staff, 29 nobel-prize winners.
7. Universität Freiburg
Universitat Freiburg started a slow development in the classical major disciplines as early as 1457 on the basis of Freiburg Cathedral. Behind the idea of Universität Freiburg was Archduke Albert VI of
Nowadays, Universität Freiburg offers over 160 fields of study, attracting more than 21.000 students from Germany and abroad by also offering English study programs for non-German speakers.
Chosen as ‘University of Excellence’ in years 2007 and 2009, Universität Freiburg provides an environment rich for research and excellence.
8. Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen
Was established in 1870. It is one of the strongest universities in Germany offering programs in Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate degrees.
There are more than 144 courses of study being taught in Rheinisch-Westfalische Technische Hochschule Aachen’s 10 faculties and 260 institutes, attended by 42.298 students during 2014/2015.
It provides 9 large collaborative centers for research making possible for interested scientists to flourish and share their ideas with the world through many publications in journals worldwide.
The number of people working for the university’s best interest is: 5.230 academic staff, 538 professors, 701 trainees and interns and 2.722 non-academic staff.
9. Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
Is a research university founded in 1737 by King George II of Great Britain. Developed to provide graduate and undergraduate degree programs – with courses also in English for non-German speakers. In the beginning, it was more developed in the Humanities courses, while now it stands stronger in research studies.
A university rich in variety, it offers 13 faculties, including the Medical Center and as many as 27.556 students including the ones in Medicine.
Read more about Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
10. Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
As one of the oldest universities in the whole of Europe, beginning in 1477, it offers 7 faculties, with 450 professors and 28.500 students, including internationals.
The number of academic staff reaches 4000, while the non-academic staff is 12.000, including the university’s hospitals – 17 hospitals with 12 specialist centers.
Winner of the ‘University of Excellence’ prize and many other similar prizes throughout the years, Eberhard Karls Universität Tüblingen houses 173 buildings, 45 departmental libraries with more than 6.3 million books allowing for a great number of students to become Nobel Laureates and winners of many other prestigious awards in Germany and abroad.
And the rest are top 11-43 universities:
11. Technische Universität Berlin – also ranked the 178th in the world.
12. Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn – also ranked the 210th in the world.
13. Universität Hamburg – also ranked the 219th in the world.
14. Technische Universität Dresden – also ranked the 227th in the world.
15. Universität Frankfurt Am Main – also ranked the 243rd in the world.
16. Technische Universität Darmstadt – also ranked the 246th in the world.
17. Universität Stuttgart – also ranked the 251st in the world.
18. Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster – also ranked the 256th in the world.
19. Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg – also ranked the 292nd in the world.
20. Universität Konstanz – also ranked the 319th in the world.
21. Universität Köln – also ranked the 331st in the world.
22. Universität Ulm – also ranked the 338th in the world.
23. Universität Bremen – also ranked the 351st in the world.
24. Leibniz Universität Hannover – also ranked the 366th in the world.
25. Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz – also ranked the 375th in the world.
26. Universität Jena – also ranked the 381st in the world.
27. Universität Leipzig – also ranked the 384th in the world.
28. Universität Mannheim – also ranked the 394th in the world.
29. Christian-Albrechts-Universität Zu Kiel – also ranked the 401-410 in the world.
30. Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg – also ranked the 401-410 in the world.
31. Ruhr-Universität Bochum – also ranked the 421-430 in the world.
32. Universität Bayreuth – also ranked the 451-460 in the world.
33. Universität Regensburg – also ranked the 461-470 in the world.
34. Philipps-Universität Marburg – also ranked the 491-500 in the world.
35. Technische Universität Dortmund – also ranked the 491-500 in the world.
36. Universität Bielefeld – also ranked the 501-550 in the world.
37. Technische Universität Braunschweig – also ranked the 501-550 in the world.
38. Universität Des Saarlandes – also ranked the 501-550 in the world.
39. Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg – also ranked the 551-600 in the world.
40. Universität Duisburg-Essen – also ranked the 551-600 in the world.
41. Universität Düsseldorf – also ranked the 551-600 in the world.
42. Universität Rostock – also ranked the 551-600 in the world.
43. Justus-Liebig-Universität Gießen – also ranked the 601-650 in the world.
Join 262,114 other students interested in studying in Germany
Get regular emails sent to your inbox with helpful articles about studying in Germany, latest news and many scholarship and study abroad opportunities and offers...